Mai Châu is one of the most popular destinations in North-East Vietnam. Situated at only 140km from Ha Noi, the Mai Chau valley is the ideal weekend getaway to skip the Vietnamese capital’s overwhelming heat. Mai Chau is 800m-900m above the sea level, guaranteeing freshness most of the year.
The summer brings heat of around 34°C (93°F) in Mai Chau, along with occasional bouts of rain.
Between November and April, visitors to Mai Chau can enjoy a temperate climate of around 22 – 25°C (72 – 77°F).
How to get there?
- By motorbike: 140km. The trip is a journey with several viewpoints, tight turns, hairpin roads.
- By Car: 150km. This path is longer than the path recommended for motorcycles, but you will be driving on highways for the most part
- By bus: there are 1 to 2 buses per day from Ha Noi. Prices vary between 70,000VND and 100,000VND. Allow a minimum of 3 hours
What to see in Mai Châu?
- Temple Thac Bo: located at the water’s edge, you can explore the surroundings by boat
- Thung Khe: a unique panorama to take your breath away.
- Go Lao Waterfall: a small waterfall, very popular because you can picnic and cool off
- Hang Kia: clouds as far as the eye can see (if the weather is nice), plenty of photo opportunities for photographers (and Instagrammers)
Where to stay in Mai Châu?
- Homestay: you will have to sacrifice your comfort and bring warm clothes (there is no heating inside), but the experience will be more authentic, and above all, you will be able to taste some typical dishes of the region
- Mai Chau Ecolodge: beautiful view on the rice fields and mountains, in the minimalist villas but with irreproachable comfort, Mai Chau Ecolodge has become the first choice for Hanoians during their weekend getaways.
- Transport: from $3 to $6 from Hanoi
- Accommodation: from $3/ person / night to $20 at the hotel (minimum)
- Scooter rental on site: 100,000VND/day (recommended)
- Restaurants: it is better to book in advance, at least 100,000VND/person