The pagoda was originally a small hut built by Nhat Dinh in 1843,
who was formerly recognized by royal authority as the monk of Giac Hoang Pagoda. In 1848,
the pagoda was restored by monk Cung Ky with the help of the king's eunuchs and courtiers.
Tu Hieu hence became a large pagoda.
In 1894, it was rebuilt by Cuong Ky with
the support of King Thanh Thai and the King's eunuchs created the half-moon lake. In 1962,
the pagoda was renovated by Most Ven. Chon Thiet. And in 1971 the three entrance gate and
the staff houses were rehabilitated by senior monk Chi Niem.
The pagoda was built in the shape of
the Chines,e character "Khau" (mouth), with the main building consisting of
three rooms and two wings. The main sanctuary is devoted to the worship of Buddha.
Behind there is a room honoring former monks of the pagoda. Across a courtyard, the Quang
Hieu Duong Hall houses an altar dedicated to local Buddhist devotees on the right, another
to the deity Quan Cong in the center, and a third to the eunuchs on the left. A separate
altar in this hall honors Le Van Duyet, an outstanding mandarin during the reign of
Emperor Gia Long. On the left side of the courtyard are the living quarters of the monks
(Ta Lac Thien) and to Tu Hieu right is the guest-house (Huu Ai Nhat).
The entrance gate to the pagoda is a curved two storey structure. On
the second storey, a statue of the guardian spirit Ho Phap protects
the pagoda. Inside the gate is a crescent-lotus pond. On both sides
of the courtyard are stele houses engraved with the history of the