Tree Stories

Thoi tiet
Ban do
Giao Thong
Giao Thong

Danh lam thang canh
Di tichoval1.gif (476 bytes)
Bao tang
Le hoi

Chi dan du lich
Khach san
Nha hang
Quay Luu Niem
Giai Tri

Ngan Hang
Dien thoai can thiet
Buu Chinh Vien Thong
Giao Thong

 

Pavillion of Edicts

phuvanlau.gif (14745 bytes)

It is the building where Emperor's edicts and lists of successful candidates of Thi Hoi (National Examination) and Thi Dinh (Court Examinations) were publicised.

Situated right in front of the Flag-Tower and by the National Highway No. 1 which crosses Hue capital city, it is a delicate pavilion with a south view. In front of the Pavilion is a large court leading to the Nghinh Luong Pavilion (Pavilion for Fresh Air) on the Perfume River bank.

 

Capital City:

- Dynastic Temple - The Mieu
- The Flag Tower
- Royal Library
- Royal Theater
- Noon Gate
- Throne Palace and Great Rites Court
- Hien Lam Pavilion
- Nam Giao Esplanade
- The Nine Dynastic Urns
-
Hue Citadel
- Pavillion of Edicts
- The Nine Holy Cannons


Tombs
Historical Vestiges

phuvanlau1.gif (13566 bytes)Though built early in Emperor Gia Long's reign (1819), it was first decided by Emperor Minh Mang to be the site to publicly display his important edicts. After having been announced at the Throne Palace or the Noon Gate, the edict was put in a canopied palanquin and carried by soldiers to the pavilion. On that occasion, the Thua Thien Province mandarins and thousands of local elders crowded to pay homage to the edict. Since 1821, after the Proclamation Ceremony, lists of successful candidates were posted there. In order to enhance the significance, two stone steles were erected on both sides of the pavilion, inscribed with Chinese characters meaning "Tilt Your Hats and Dismount" reminding passers-by to tilt their hats and get off their horses when passing this monument.

There had once been a tiger - elephant duel on the pavilion grounds in 1829 to entertain Emperor Minh Mang. In his fortieth and fiftieth birthday anniversaries, many entertainment were also held there. These practices were maintained by Emperors Thieu Tri and Tu Duc in their birthday anniversaries. Emperor Thieu Tri
listed the Perfume and the Pavilion of Edicts among 20 most beautiful sights of the capital city of Hue. It was him who ordered in 1843 the construction of a stele house on the right of the pavilion for engraving his poem "Morning Boating 2222 on the Perfume River".

The pavilion was destroyed by a typhoon in 1904 and restored later by Emperor Thanh Thai.